In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, we are sharing our favorite list of Hispanic celebrities who are superstars in their own right. Latinos are very big on family, especially when it comes to what I like to call the “extended family.” You know, it’s anyone who’s Latino too by virtue of who their parents were and regardless of whether they speak Spanish or not. We love to claim them as our very own.
I speak for myself, and probably for many Hispanics around the world, it’s always fun to learn of anyone in our extended family, especially celebrities who may not necessarily have a Hispanic last name or may not have stereotypical Hispanic features that would easily identify them. The discovery process becomes both motivational and endearing, and again we love to claim them as part of our extended family.
So, let’s get started. Below are a few big name members of my extended family:
- Raquel Welch: She was born Jo Raquel Tejada in Chicago, Illinois and is the daughter of English and Spanish parents. In 1966, she emerged as a phenomenom and superstar sex symbol in One Million Years B.C. She has an impressive list of movies and TV appearances since then. Most recently, she played Vina Navarro on an episode of CSI: Miami and she was also Mrs. Windham Vandermark in Legally Blonde.
- Rita Hayworth: This stunning Spanish beauty was actually born Margarita Carmen Cansino. She was a Spanish-American dancer and film actress who garnered fame during the 1940s as one of the era’s top stars. She’s probably best known for her role in Dante’s Inferno.
- Desi Arnaz: Desi was born Desiderio Alberto Arnaz y de Acha III, and was a Cuban-born American musician, actor and television producer. He is best known for his role as Ricky in I Love Lucy. While Ricky was married to Lucy (played by Lucille Ball) on the show, Desi was married to Lucille Ball in real life.
- Peter Gene Hernandez: Better known by his stage name Bruno Mars, is an American singer-songwriter and record producer. Who doesn’t love a bad boy, especially when he’s as talented as half-Puerto Rican actor Bruno Mars? Yes, he actually does have an acting credit as Bruno Hernandez in Honeymoon in Vegas.
- The Estévez Family: There are five in this acting family rooted in Spanish and Irish descent, but only two of them use different stage names that are more American sounding. There’s the dad, Ramón Antonio Gerardo Estévez, better known by his stage name Martin Sheen and Carlos Irwin Estévez, better known by his stage name Charlie Sheen. There’s also Emelio Estévez, known for his starring role in The Breakfast Club (1985), Ramon Estévez, and Renée Estevez who was a frequent guest on the The West Wing and was also in the cult classic Heathers (1988).
- David Archuleta: He’s an American singer-songwriter and actor who happens to be half-Honduran. I don’t know about you, but when I saw him on American Idol I was oblivious to this fact! I’m now excited to claim in as an extended family member!
I think this is an impressive list within itself, but there’s obviously more! We actually have a pretty long list, so follow us on Twitter (@BHNInsider) and Facebook this week as we claim some of the best Latinos in entertainment!
Who is your favorite Latino superstar?
Thanks for visiting the Bright House Networks Blog. We welcome you to participate in the conversation on House2House. Please note, any service-related concerns will not be resolved on the Blog. They will be addressed by our dedicated Customer Care team (select from above Online Care options). Also, to find out if a product or service is available in your area,